How to start a home online yoga practice
I know for myself and from my students, how difficult it can be to prioritise your home yoga practice. There’s always something else to do.
I also know how important it is to you that you do practice yoga regularly. You already know how good it feels when you do this and the difference it makes to you.
Here are some top tips to get your home yoga practice started.
1. Identify WHY you want to do a regular home yoga practice. What is your yoga practice going to bring you?
2. What will your reality be if you don’t do your yoga practice? Consider what your day or week would look like without your practice. What is the longer term impact for you? This stuff is going to be the key motivator for you.
3. Explore and evaluate the timing of your practice– what is going to really work for you? Be realistic. When thinking about this tune into if you are really thinking – “yeh that’s not gonna happen”.
4. Recognise your story “I’m not disciplined enough” – what story are you telling yourself- is this resistance or a block for you? When you want to do a yoga practice because you know how good you feel afterwards, tune into to what you are telling yourself as to why you can’t do this. Are you prioritising others first? Is your reasoning to do something else in the time, which could be thought about in a different way to be made more time efficient or let go of altogether?
5. Others in your home – consider children/pets – can someone take your dog out, arrange for children to have a play date, partner, family, friends. Allow yourself to be supported in your life – we are not meant to be doing it alone.
6. Creating a beautiful space for your yoga practice – All you need is space to roll out your mat and be able to swing your arms freely without hitting something! Keep it simple, pick a flower from your garden, burn essential oils, light a candle, have an image or object that has a connection to you looking after yourself
7. Planning time in– Think about your practice the day before it happens, see it happening, plan what you need to plan to ensure some quiet time and give yourself permission to allow all of life’s ‘things to do’ to be put to one side. Get up on the morning of your practice with your intention firmly in place that this is the day for your practice
8. Have motivational images around you connected to your WHY you are doing this. Seeing these regularly will give your brain the message that your self-care is important, without you having to do any work and it will keep you motivated.
I find with certain things I like to link to other support as I don’t always have the energy or inclination to do everything on my own,
especially if it is connected to something that is really good for me.
I have a few online programmes that I use regularly to support me in my business and my personal growth.
I find it really helpful to move through blockages, gain new ideas, make my experiences different to what they would be if I had just thought about them myself and give me a motivational boost for myself.
I will help you through regular input to give yourself permission to include a home yoga practice.
I will make it really easy for you with my online yoga, relaxation and meditation classes. Our website is here to give you the motivational boost you need to get onto the mat.
I teach safe and gentle yoga classes focusing on nurturing you. My classes are suitable for all levels of experience, age and ability.